Thursday, July 31, 2008

Evil Dead 4 a Strong Possibility for Raimi

Okay, so I know I just got on the Terminator geeks about looking forward to a franchise that hasn’t had much going for it in the last few years. Now it’s my turn to geek out. (Just a little bit). Apparently, Sam Raimi, at the Drag Me Down to Hell panel at Comic Con, revealed that he’s been thinking about and planning on doing another Evil Dead movie, and expressed an interest in having Bruce Cambell reprise his role as Ash, our chainsaw-cum-steel-handed hero (he’s probably better know to the kiddies as the fussy usher from Spiderman 2 or the French waiter from Spiderman 3).

I have to admit, Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3 for the uninitiated) came out when I was about 15 and I thought it was one of the coolest movies ever made. Granted, I watched it more recently and I realized that it was one of those movies that is gloriously bad but you love it anyway.

But let's get down to brass tacks: Army of Darkness had two endings, one for an American audience and one for a European audience, that are very different and would spawn two very different follow-ups to the Evil Dead franchise. The American version ends with Ash waking up in the present day and shooting a demon with his “boom stick” in S-Mart (“Shop smart, shop S-Mart”). The other version has Ash taking too much of the sleeping potion and waking up in a post-apocalyptic London, laughing manically. So the question is, should Ash fight demons in a modern day discount store or in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Either way, I’m game.

No comments: