Monday, August 4, 2008

Lock, Stock, and One Intelligent Gentleman Smoking a Pipe?

A couple of weeks ago, I heard that Robert Downey, Jr., has just been cast in a new Sherlock Holmes movie, which wasn’t much news. But today IESB is reporting that not only is Downey, Jr., playing Sherlock Holmes, but that Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch) is directing and promising an “action packed” Sherlock Holmes, where Holmes is not only good at “deduction and all that stuff” but is also a skilled martial artist. He promises that the newer, updated version (presumably present day?) has all the elements of the original, Watson included.

I agree, updating the character for the 21st century might be kind of cool, but I’m not sure “action packed” and “martial arts” are exactly what Holmes is all about. And if Ritchie’s previous movies are any indication of what to expect from the Holmes update, we might see Holmes hanging out in a strip club with gangsters, beating the pulp out of a stooge, all the while spewing obscenities that would make Dick Cheney blush.

What do you think? Leave a comment and let me know.

Source: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5292&Itemid=99

3 comments:

Shankar said...

7 posts and no comments. Shame.

What I've discovered is that if you want comments, you have to festoon your blog with cute pictures of your cute kids doing cute things. Then the entire Relief Society descends on your blog and leaves you comments ad nauseum about how cute the kids are.

For guys' blogs, I think people just look at the post, nod their heads and move on. We don't get nearly as much appreciation.

Nexus-6 said...

True dat. But having a blog about something other than yourself has got to count for something right?

Nice to hear from you you, my friend.

Teri said...

While I love the whole mystique of Sherlock Holmes, and love Robert D's deliveries and would love to be excited about a new and updated version, I have to agree that it gives me pause to hear that Guy Ritchie is directing. For me, Holmes is mental mental mental. His observations, collections of sensations(sight, sound, smell, touch) and his deliberate delay of reaching conclusions when all around him are desperate to grab and hold onto anything they can find are deeply intriguing. To be honest, I'm just not all that sure that Ritchie is bent in that direction as it is so much more subtly portrayed.
I guess we'll see, eh? Because we just can't be in a rush to get to that conclusion just yet.
Thanks for your posts, I am enjoying them!