Monday, February 23, 2009

My Oscar Post

So, I guess I'm obligated to do this. So here is my Oscar post.

Slumdog Millionaire was awesome and deserves everything it got (except maybe bast song, "Jai Ho"!?). Five words: Danny Boyle is the man.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button deserved to win best special effects and it did.

Sean Penn blindsided me. I totally thought Mickey Rourke would win, even if he is kind of slimy.

Heath Ledger: nuff said.

Seth Rogan and James Franco: nuff said.

Still miffed that Bruce Springsteen's song from The Wrestler wasn't nominated.

Still mad The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best Picture (It wouldn't have won, but still, one the most highly reviewed movies of 2008 and grossing $1 billion at the box office deserves some recognition).

Hugh Jackman was alright. The opening musical number was amusing (Anne Hathaway stole the show), but next year, I think they should get a comedian again.

And next year, I hope they nominate some films that people actually cared about.

3 comments:

Shankar said...

I haven't heard the Boss's song from "The Wrestler", but I found it strange that it wasn't nominated at all after winning the Golden Globe earlier. I could have done without any "Milk", especially the acceptance speeches, less of Sophia Loren's designer (I'm no expert on the niceties of womens' fashion, but that was hideous), more singing and dancing from Hugh Jackman (I think the ladies would agree with that) and more musicals in general.

Nexus-6 said...

The Milk speeches unfortunately turned into political speeches rather than expressions of gratitude, but what are you going to do? The Oscars wouldn't be the Oscars without some political controversy.

And, yeah, Sophia Loren ... ouch.

Stacie said...

I won, I won, I won!