Thursday, August 21, 2008

Veronica Mars: The Movie?


I know I haven’t made a post in almost a week, but honestly, there wasn’t much news to talk about; however, I came across a tidbit that is interesting, and I’m not sure how I feel about it: Entertainment Weekly, and a handful of websites are reporting that Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas (not the guy from Matchbox 20, the producer/writer) have been in some preliminary talks about a possible Veronica Mars movie.

On the one hand, I loved the short-lived Veronica Mars. It only ran two full seasons, and the last season was kind of scattered and wasn’t tied up when the show was canceled. But it had great writing and acting, critical acclaim, and was just a joy to watch. And, honestly, I think the show should have gone on (as Rob Thomas pitched to WB execs) as Veronica Mars in the FBI, which would have been a natural continuation of her story and character. But making a movie doesn’t seem like the right move.

A TV series with Veronica in the FBI would have been great because the show would have time to develop over a season—building characters and transitioning from the previous seasons—but throwing Veronica into the FBI for a movie with no time to transition her from a college freshman would seem to alienate fans and the VM mythos. I would hate for it to turn out like other TV-shows-turned-movies like Mission: Impossible (where the entire premise of the show as basically thrown out the window to make an action movie) or the new X-Files: I Want to Believe (that, as a stand-alone storyline, doesn’t really satisfy the mythos of the original show).

I’m just trying to say that it would be hard for Thomas to reign in all the VM history and make it relevant in a new storyline that also works as a stand-alone movie. Serentiy turned out well, but Joss Whedon was only working with half a season’s worth of shows. In any case, I hope all things turn out for the best. And in the mean time I’ll be watching Kristen Bell electrocute people on Heroes.

Are you a VM fan? What do you think about a possible movie? Leave a comment below and let me know.

EW source article: Here.

No comments: